Pages

Monday 25 March 2019

DNA Extraction

Aim:

To extract DNA from a kiwi fruit

Method:

 - Using a spatula, Scoop 1/2 kiwifruit into a bag. Add 25mL water + a pinch of salt.
- Mush until a thick soup.
- Pour over cloth into a funnel into beaker.
Ours on the left
- Pour liquid into a test tube. Add dishwashing liquid + swirl. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Tilt test tube on a 45-degree angle and slowly pour 10mL of ethanol down the side.
- Allow it to sit.

Results:

We saw a large clump of the kiwifruit rise up.

Conclusion:

Overall, this was fun to do, and adding these certain types of ingredients, helped make this experiment happen, for example, Adding the salt helped clump the DNA together, and Ethonal has a different thickness to water, that's what makes it sit on top of the water, which did help us extract the DNA from the fruit. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.