Pages

Sunday 24 March 2019

Creative writing

Show don't tell:

Show don't tell - definition

Show don't tell is a technique writers use to give the reader experience on the story by actions, thoughts, and feelings, instead of reading it through the writer's description.

Example:

The sun ducked below the horizon, saying farewell to the day. Its parting gift was a dazzling display of lights, blanketing the world in an ocean of purple and orange.


_______________________________________________________________

Narrative Openings:

The sun shone through the front window as the wind transferred around his car so gently. He moved his head up and down to the loud music. Biting into his burger so viciously the sauce began to drip on his beard. Slowly swaying his hand along the floor searching for napkins, he got frustrated and used his eyes instead, when he felt the car jump..

The wind howled through their lonely room. Their heartbeats went faster and faster as they made creaks and little noises trying so hard not to wake the beast. They quickly grabbed a lantern and vanished through the window. Running underneath the blanket of darkness, they turned around making the choice of never going back.


As the tears fell down her cheek, she quietly whispered ''don't. leave me''. He got up quickly, taking a big deep breath, kissing her on the head softly saying "goodbye"...

_______________________________________________________________


Setting activity:

A made up fantasy land...

As the sun rises above the horizon, I could see all the beauty this town had. The beautiful pink sky reflected off the river. The sound of the birds singing a beautiful tune, that's when you know its the morning. As I stroll down the street, the gentle breeze gave me goosebumps. All the different smells coming my way, my stomach began to rumble. Walking to the nearest bakery my view started to get wavy and blur, this is when I knew it was just a dream.
_______________________________________________________________

Setting activity 2:

He woke up to the sound of his alarm clock yelling at him and taking a look at it he realized he's late for work. He was running around his house as if he was competing in a marathon. Getting in his car and quickly driving out of his driveway. He was 5 mins before getting to work and he was sure he was going to make it, just when he got into a disaster... Traffic. Everybody was beeping and yelling at each other, telling them to get their move on, it was like they were about to start world war 3. He made it through traffic and got to work on time. When he just thought it was going to be a lucky day, a large tower of paper appeared on his desk.
_______________________________________________________________

Create a character: Protagonist & Antagonist:

_______________________________________________________________

Reflection:
  • What new things have you learned? How is this going to help you to be a better creative writer? New things I've learnt would have to be the setting activity, because it helps me be more specific in my writing and putting specific details in my wirting will make my creative writing better.
  • What activities did you enjoy from this unit of work? Why? I enjoyed making the show not tell, because it was a challenge, but it also did make great ideas acome to my mind, and it made my imagination get bigger.
  • Which styles of learning work best for you? Can you identify any obstacles to your learning?I like working in pairs or groups, and giving and sharing ideas with them. I also like working while listening to music, because it will help me to focus more and also enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you made it easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way you used the correct punctuation and great descriptive language.

    I think that you could have extended on ur paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.