Pages

Thursday 23 August 2018

Ta moko

What is a Ta Moko?
Ta moko is a traditional tattoo most Maori or New Zealanders wear on their face, chin, or body. Ta moko is referred as Maori tattooing . A tattoo is drawn on with ink, unlike A Ta moko, It is carved with chisels.

Why is it important?
A Moko on the face is the ultimate statement of one's identity as a Maori. Both men and women wear Moko on their face. It is believed that the head is the most sacred art of the body and to wear the moko on the face is to bear undeniable announcement of who you are.

How was Ta Moko applied traditionally?
The way they applied the Ta Moko to the face is they would, dip a narrow blade in black pigment and then tap the blade with a mallet to chisel deep incisions into the skin. This process left permanent grooves in the skin. Caterpillars were use for pigment in Ta Moko




No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.