Pages

Friday 15 June 2018

I wonder why milk is white?

Why is milk white?
Milk is made up of about 87% water and 13% solids, such as fat and various proteins. Cheif among these proteins is something called casein, four types of which make up 80% of the proteins in milk. The casein protein micelles are typically suspended somewhat uniformly throughout the milk. White objects in nature appear such when there is some level of light diffusion going on and no part of the visible spectrum gets reflected off the object any more than any part of that area of the light spectrum. As you might guess from that, the casein proteins and some of the fats in milk scatter and deflect light uniformly throughout the visible spectrum. This results in milk being fairly opaque and appearing white to our eyes.

Now, This makes me wonder, Why onions make your eyes water?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Presayus,
    This post may be short, but you filled it with amazing information! This post has taught me that Milk is made up of about 87% water and 13% solids, such as fat and various proteins. This is quite interesting. This makes we wonder how people actually started to drink milk. What made this liquid seem appealing?
    - Nadia

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.