Pages

Thursday 11 June 2020

Language Features.


  • "Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead"
    I picked this line because it contains the language feature: personification. Personification is when you give animals or objects a human trait and in this case, the poem gave the aeroplane a human trait by saying it was 'moaning'. This gave me the idea that the aeroplane was loud and screaming at a low sound. This is effective to me because it gave me the impression of how loud the aeroplane was and it made it easier for me to imagine the aeroplane.
  • "Scribbling on the sky the message 'he is dead'
    This sentence has something that is similar to Personification except its referring to the sky(weather/setting) which means it would be a Pathetic Fallacy. This Feature was being used by expressing it as it scribbling on something yet aeroplanes cant scribble. 
  • Third paragraph - "my"
    What I mean by the word "my" is that I can see it being used over and over again, in other words, it is known as repetition. The author's purpose for doing this was so the reader could understand what he was to her and get it stuck into our heads.  I believe that by constantly using the word my, gave me the realisation of how important he was to her,  it also put an effect on the poem by it being past tense.

  • In the first paragraph, I would say it's being said in the present and I can back this up by using quotes such as: "Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come". By reading that quote I knew that there was a funeral present and happening at that moment. Except for paragraph three. I recognised that the third paragraph used a lot of past tense like was or thought but that doesn't mean the whole text was being placed in the past. The third paragraph could be the poem explaining who he was to her before he passed. So I would say this poem is spoken in 'first-person' because she explains what's in front of her, clocks, coffin or dog and secondly she described the person who passed in past tense meaning she was describing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.